Friday, September 14, 2007

The Dream Life of PAPs

As of this writing, we are 25 days away from our 6-month wait (but who's counting?).

Keep in mind that our original projected wait time was 3-6 months to receive a referral of a child. From my conversation with the FFC program director this past Monday, that timeline still holds true. Do you realize that this means that any day now, we could get The Call? Wow.

Apparently I've been thinking about this more than I realize. Last night, my subconscious was in overdrive trying to process it in dream-form. In my dream, we received news of the referral by mail. There were several colorful pages enclosed in a large, clear envelope. For some reason, two obnoxious high school girls were going through my mail and found it. While sitting in their car, one of them opened up the envelope and started reading it aloud. I reached my hand through the crack in the window and furiously snatched the papers out of her hand.

The letter contained a blurry picture of a baby and a vague statement about being referred a child who was at least one year old. I was so ecstatic that I simultaneously cried and vomited.

In reality, when we get The Call, I don't think there will be many tears and certainly not any involuntary ejection of my stomach's contents. I'm just not that emotionally expressive a person. I didn't cry at my wedding, nor I did I shed a tear when Andrew was born. The weepy-eyed reaction is Craig's hallmark (gotta love my sensitive hubby :) I will however be internally overwhelmed with a million emotions, not the least of which is joy.

Meanwhile, the long-distance nesting continues. I've picked up a couple more things to mail to our baby once we receive and accept his/her referral. (I realized all too late that the turtle book is upside down in this picture - whoops!) If there's a positive to waiting 4-6 months until we pick up our child, it's that our agency will mail one care package per month to him or her. That's great news because there's no way all this stuff is going to squish into the single gallon-sized Ziploc bag to which we're limited each month.

2 comments:

Tisra said...

I think the strong dreams about adoption must signal the speedy arrival of your referral. Each time I was pregnant, I had baby dreams as the due date quickly approached. Case in point, I'm not having and referral dreams right now because I know ours is a good way's off. I can't wait to see pictures of your little one!!!!

Tisra
requesting girl, FFC, "logged in" April 25, 2007
http://lifetrain.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

Hearing of your dream made me giggle a bit. Here's to hope that this dream foreshadows good news for your family!