Monday, August 6, 2007

Getting Ahead of Myself


OK, so we don't have a referral yet. I'm guessing we're about a month away. Nonetheless, the shopping craze has already kicked in to the extent that the adoption process allows. I understand that we'll be able to send a care package to our baby once we accept the referral. Contents will be limited to whatever can fit inside a shoe box. So alas, that giant baby swing that served Andrew so well will just have to stay Stateside.

I've taken a picture of what I've picked up already: 1) a soft photocube in which we can insert pictures of our family. It plays music when you press the pictures, 2)a soft photo album, same idea (this seems to be the ubiquitous item in all adoptee care packages), 3) a disposable camera, 4) a single-use digital video camera. I've read that the caretakers in the orphanages will take pictures and video of our child if you provide the cameras. We'll get the cameras back when we pick up our child. It will be fun to see how s/he grew up in our absence, and I know the images will go a long way in helping fill in the gaps when our child is old enough to wonder.

Maniac baby item bargain hunter that I am, I was overjoyed to discover a Tiny Love Symphony in Motion mobile on clearance at Target for $9.97! This marvel of rotating spirals, bizarre stuffed animals, and classical music standards typically retails for over $40.00. It keeps the child kicking and laughing non-stop. When Andrew was a baby, this should've-won-a-Nobel-Prize toy made the difference between whether my teeth went brushed or not any given day. Unfortunately, it's too large to fit into a shoe box. Still, I'm plotting ways to get this mobile to our baby, even if I have to mail it to one of my relatives in Taiwan and have him or her carry it to the orphanage.

While the care the babies receive in Taiwanese orphanges is better than in most countries, they don't receive the one-on-one stimulation that they otherwise would if they grew up in a normal household. This mobile is by no means an adequate substitute for human nurture. However, if it will make even the slightest difference in his or her development, if it will even elicit a tiny smile from him or her, I'm all for it.

4 comments:

Ahma Penny said...

Love the blog...and that one time video camera is an awsome idea. Nicole and I are anxiously waiting to hear of your referral..won't be long now.

Penny

Tisra said...

I'm so glad you began a blog! Great to put a face to the name now, too. We still haven't received a wait update, but when we made the list, Laura was saying 12-14 months. What a difference in just a matter of weeks- to think you're quite close to getting a referral while I am still anticipating an April or May '08 referral. Maybe when we finally get that July Update it will say something sooner (wouldn't that be nice?).

Tisra
adopting from Taiwan, waiting for referral as of April 25, 2007, requesting a girl

Tiffany said...

Hi Judy - we haven't met but I'm Tiffany and part of the adopting from Taiwan yahoo group! I notice you're in Philly? Could this be true? My hubby Chris and I live in harrisburg! We're awaiting our first child Sophia. She's at SLC now. It's so great to meet another family in PA adopting from Taiwan!! Here's to a speedy process and a quick referral :) I'll be checking your blog often to keep up to speed with your journey!
Tiffany
www.youbelong.net/rhines

Sarah said...

I had not seen the Sassy Photocube before. Very cute! Looks like some of my favorite bloggers found your blog before I did. Great job so far!