Monday, August 20, 2007

St. Lucy's Orphanage

As I mentioned before, St. Lucy's is one of the two orphanages from which our child might hail. It is located in Tainan, in southwest Taiwan.



I came across this post from Val, one of the members of one of the Yahoo Taiwanese adoption groups I've joined. She adopted two absolutely beautiful twin girls not too long ago from St. Lucy's (http://taiwanadoption.blogspot.com/). With her permission, I've excerpted some of her comments about the orphanage:

"St Lucy's isn't your "typical" orphanage that one might imagine in one's head. It's very, VERY clean, extremely well-staffed, and the children receive excellent medical care. When they go out in cars, they ride in car-seats (not the norm in Taiwan), they have lovely strollers, wonderful, clean toys, and lots of sunshine. I only tell you this in case you are wondering if SLC is like some of the horror stories we hear about in relation to Chinese orphanages.. it's not. St. Lucy's is like a big, wonderful daycare center.. except the kids have to wait longer for Mommy to pick them up. :( ... I arrived, expecting to find detached caregivers, lonely children, and sadness.. but what I found was a place filled with warmth and graciousness. Children who had the staff wrapped around their fingers, gifts that were purchased for my girls with the staffs own money, because they loved them so much. After we got home, SLC staffers sent a handpainted photo album to us, with pictures of the girls and letters of love written by those who cared for them their first 10 months. SLC staffers cared for my girls SO well that even though they were born at 29 weeks, and were VERY tiny babies, by the time *I* got there they were only slightly smaller than their peers, and developmentally they were on par with their American counterparts. My daughters were driven to physical therapy, 3 times a week, and special exercises were part of their routine at "home" too."

No comments: