Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Maybe Scabies - Maybe Not

I've been emailing my sister, Sherry Shieh, a noted dermatologist in New York City, about William's itchiness. She's skeptical about the doctors' diagnosis of scabies and thinks his rash is probably due to eczema.

According to her, "In infants [scabies manifests as]... classic, big, red, juicy papules that look like swollen insect bites." This doesn't exactly describe what I've observed in William. Plus, she adds that there's a good chance we'd also be itching right alongside him. So, we're going to take her advice and keep slathering him in hydrocortisone and Vaseline for the next several days. If the rash doesn't abate, we'll try the pediatrician-recommended medication.

From what I've read, eczema is irritating enough to awaken its victim throughout the night. Here's hoping that it's what William has. I don't like the thought of wee beasties crawling around inside my baby's body and tormenting him.

1 comment:

JEff said...

Reed has eczema, too. If William's is really bad, I bet they can prescribe something, but we bought an eczema baby wash for Reed at Target and that seemed to soothe his skin.