Monday, January 14, 2008

Peel Me Off the Floor

Are you sitting down?

I hope so, because here's the email I opened up from Laura at FFC when I got home this afternoon:

"We were notified today by the St. Lucy Center that you have received a final decree on your adoption case. This means that you're almost done! St. Lucy's is checking their calendar and working with AIT on available appointment dates. We'll probably be shortly after Chinese New Year.

We'll be in touch with more travel instructions and information shortly!"


I had just emailed her a couple of days ago to find out if we had even gotten logged into the courts, but I hadn't yet heard back from her. To find out that we had already obtained a final decree was delightfully shocking to put it mildly. Keep in mind that the wait time for an approval from the Taiwanese courts is usually quoted to be 3-6 months. The courts in Tainan that handle the adoption cases from St. Lucy's are supposed to be the slowest of all. From the day that we sent in our contracts until today, one month and five days have elapsed. One month and five days.

I feel like we are in a game of Chutes and Ladders, having hit the jackpot and landed on the square with the ladder shooting all the way to the top of the board. I don't know exactly why we've been fast-tracked; I only know that somewhere behind the scenes, God is working out a very specific and wonderful plan for our family. I am equally thankful and mystified.

We obviously don't have a travel date yet, but if our case follows some of those I've recently read of online, we might get as little as 15 days' notice. Since Chinese New Year happens the week of February 7th, perhaps we could be flying out in mid- to late February, maybe early March. While we are hoping for travel as early as possible, a fly date in March would also work out well in that my parents could travel to Taiwan with us (my dad retires on February 29th). Craig's parents have graciously agreed to fly out to Pennsylvania to watch Andrew the week we're gone.

O.K. Stand back now while I scream.

"WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!"

Blog reader in New Zealand - did you hear me?

11 comments:

Cindy said...

Yippee! That's fantastic. . .I saw a bulletin board post for another family with a referral about the same time as yours and wondered if you also had an update. I am so excited for you guys. . .won't be long now!

Cindy
http://adopttaiwan.wordpress.com

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh!!!! I can't believe it! Mel got hers too. You're both going, and soon!

Sarah said...

And hey... that blog reader in NZ reads mine every day too, if not multiple times a day!

Sarah said...

I know, I know... I keep commenting. I'm just so amazed and happy for you. We need to find out if your family set some kind of Taiwan adoption record for finalizing an adoption so quickly in Taiwan! Who's that judge? I want to be in that court, for sure.

Amy, Ryan, Aidan and Lauren said...

That's amazing--I've never heard of such a quick process. CONGRATULATIONS!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! What a blessing to have a short wait, I can vouch for the very long wait and it's horrible.
Now let's hurry up and get that travel date!

Andrea
Miranda's Mom

The family of six said...

You are so LUCKY!!!! I need some of that!! How exciting!!

Anita said...

Congratulations! This is great news!!

Rydley said...

This is truly incredible news! Absolutely thrilled for you!!!

R... said...

Congratulations! What a thrill and incredible news that you will have your baby home at 7 months!

R...
http://littletatertot.blogspot.com

Heather - The Wanna-be Super Mom said...

Oh my goodness. I go away for 5 days and all of a sudden you know when you are picking up your son!!! This is such wonderful news. Now we have something to celebrate on Sunday!!! Congrats!