Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Merbaby

You know that woman who chases her son around the swimming pool, desperately trying to coax him to re-join his swimming class while he shrieks in fear, "I don't want to get my eyes wet! NOOOOO!!!!"?

I am that woman and a certain you-know-who is that boy.

In light of our past experience, it was with great trepidation that I signed William up for swimming lessons. Certainly, I realize he's not going to learn to swim at 9 months old. We didn't adopt a mermaid. However, from what I've read, swimming lessons are a great way to promote bonding because the child is forced to cling to his parent. The skin-to-skin contact is also supposed to help in some sort of primal way.

Praise God Almighty! William has no issues getting water in his face. To him, the swimming pool is just one big bathtub. Throughout the first lesson, his arms were constantly in motion, splashing himself and everyone else within range.

The only drawback is his sensitive skin. By the lesson's end, the chlorine turned much of his back, legs, and arms lobster-red. I showered him down upon exiting the pool and slathered him in moisturizer when we got home.

So, if you happen to be at your local pool and notice a large baby splashing around mercilessly, and if he's accompanied by a woman who's wiping her eyes every other second, chances are, it's the two of us.

6 comments:

Tisra said...

Awwww....sweet little MerBaby!

Amy from Occupation: Mommy said...

Aww, I'm glad you guys had a good time!

The family of six said...

Oh yeah - I think I saw you - LOL! Swim lessons - what fun! Been there!

lifelaughterchaos said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I just checked out your timeline...goodness! To have a Taiwan adoption go that quickly! How quickly things change! Congratulations on your beautiful boy!!! Your family is beautiful!

Precious Wonders and Little Monkeys said...

Hehe... Merman! Strange little thing might work for his skin (worth a shot)... my ma used to put olive oil on my sister's sensitive skin, which of course is not for sun-exposed pools, but it provided a little barrier against the chlorine. And aren't those little ones so super slippery!? And when they are chubby... it just is all the more a big slip and slide! Oh and I'll do the tag soon... just catching up on bloggies. I actually like tags so don't feel bad. It makes me feel special (although now I'll be hit up tons 'cause I said that I like them and run outta stuff to say haha... that's a first).

Yvonne Crawford said...

Oh was a sweet title to your blog. Glad it's working out!