Thursday, May 29, 2008

Speaking in Triplicate

Yesterday, while on a walk with William, we came across our neighbor and his terrier, Schulz. William, who has a strong interest in live animals, grew very excited. I narrated what we saw: "Dog!" "Gou-Gou!" ("doggie!") For extra emphasis, I patted my thigh a few times to demonstrate the word in sign language.

What came back to me from him was, "Dah!" "Guh!" and a few slaps on the side of the stroller. True, the words and sign weren't perfectly executed and perhaps I'm imagining things out of a desire to see a certain outcome, but I was downright impressed. Our baby just spoke his second word in three languages! Excuse me while I indulge in a proud mommy moment.

Okay, carry on...

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

William is amazing! I don't think you're imagining it at all- it's truly astounding how much they pick up and so quickly!
Watch out momma - he'll be talking up a storm soon - in 3 languages it looks like!
Cuter everytime I check in :) Glad to hear you are all doing well.
Tiffany

Yvonne Crawford said...

Wow, that is so incredible. What a smart little man!

Amy from Occupation: Mommy said...

Yay, William! Got to love the signs!