Friday, July 11, 2008

The First Decade


Today marks our tenth wedding anniversary. On July 11, 1998, Craig and I said "I do" in New York City and locked ourselves into a lifelong commitment to love, serve, and protect the other.

In an era of rocky relationships and uncertain marriages, I am especially thankful to have married a man who remains as mature, dependable, funny, and integrous as he did ten years ago. Here's to many, many more years, Bear. Together, may we wind up wizened and wheezy as we creak away on our front porch rocking chairs.

(By the way, I Googled "traditional wedding gifts" and found that one decade of marriage only garners a gift of tin. Tin? As ceremony goes, it's just one level up from a chunk of concrete. That being said, you may now send your scraps of tin to the following address...)

Addendum: Thanks to everyone for the well-wishes. I did not receive a gift of tin, thankfully. What I did receive was much more sparkly, heh, heh, heh.

As Craig and I were leaving to go out for a dinner date, Andrew wished me a "Happy Universary!" and told me, "You look nice in your costume." (I was wearing a black dress with pearls). I'll take this to mean I need to dress up more often.

11 comments:

JackieMacD said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful picture. Here's to the next 10!

Tisra said...

BIG BIG BIG Congrats! We just celebrated ours last month and it was amazing! HOpe you get to do something special!

Eric ignored the "tin" and went with the contemporary "diamond" gift suggestion. It's much nicer to wear around my neck! He did well! :-)

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

HAPPY Anniversary to y'all both! :) What a wonderful testimony that marriage can last! :) I LOVE IT! :)

Big hugs,
Tami
Noah's Mommy
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

Amy from Occupation: Mommy said...

Many congratulations! What will happen to Craig if he goes along with the "tin" suggestion?

Rebecca Lily said...

Hahahaha!!!! I wonder what one would buy someone, made out of tin??? Do they even make ANYTHING out of tin anymore????

Anyways, congratulations to both of you on your anniversary - the photo is wonderful and I loved what you said about marriage!!!! My husband and I have been married 10 years and it felt like a big milestone. :) We made it a whole decade and we're still in love!!!!!

Blessings,
Rebecca

Precious Wonders and Little Monkeys said...

Costume!!!! Ha ha... that's funny. Beautiful picture! One day we will go back and update photos since ours was a shoestring and a prayer type! Happy Anniversary!!! Isn't it soo fun being married and it really gets better each day! Sorry, serve and protect started the giggles. Maybe next ask for copper; the going rate at the recycle place is nicer than tin! 10 YEARS!!! ROCK ON!!! p.s. talk my husband into getting old... he doesn't want to go past 60 and I said, he has no choice because I put preservatives in his water.

Rob and Mary said...

What a great post. You are such a handsome couple, I love your wedding pic in NY. Congrats on 10 years. We were 10 years in May. We have so much in common. No tin here either. Can't wait to see your bling!
Mary

Heather - The Wanna-be Super Mom said...

Happy, Happy Anniversary!!! Hope you had fun on your date!

momwithfaithandhope said...

Happy Anniversary. Tin, huh? Sparkly sounds much, much better. Not only is he all the things you mentioned, but a super CHARMER too, and after all these years. . .

Wishing you many more years of happiness. Tiffanie

Ann said...

Happy Anniversary. That is one of the coolest wedding pics I've seen.

Our Family said...

Happy Anniversary...Beautiful picture!