Thursday, July 31, 2008

Human Hoover

I am flabbergasted. I have never seen a young child eat so much in my life.

Yesterday, I decided to take the boys to Ikea for an impromptu lunch while out running errands together. Once we made it through the checkout line, I carried the heavy tray laden with our lunch plates. Andrew followed behind me, doing his best to push William in his stroller.

The moment William caught sight of the food on the tray, he began frantically squealing, "Heeeee! Heeeee! Heeeee!" Finding a table near a row of highchairs was trickier than I thought, so he "Heeee! Heeee'd!" for quite some time as we wound our way around the tables.

I couldn't buckle him into the highchair quickly enough (actually, I couldn't buckle him at all; the seatbelt wouldn't fit). The elderly couple nearby was laughing at the site of desperate William shrieking away for food. Once we were situated, I couldn't scoop the macaroni and cheese and fruit onto his tray quickly enough. By meal's end, he had wolfed down a scoop of mac and cheese as large as my fist, three Swedish meatballs, some of my mashed potatoes, at least 10 chunks of melon, and some milk. He never paused once. I'm sure he wanted more, but I had run out of food.

The other day when my parents were in town, we were driving home from the local Asian grocery store. I had bought the kids some fish-shaped pancakes with red bean filling. My mom was eating one in the backseat next to the kids. When she looked the other way, William snatched it out of her hand and started eating it. Incidentally, she and my dad have a nickname for him: Xiao Pangze, Little Chubby.

I know I should count myself blessed to have a child with such a hearty appetite. So many parents struggle with just getting their toddlers to take a bite of anything. However, part of me wonders how much of his voraciousness stems from the 6 months he spent in an orphanage. I'd venture to guess that St. Lucy's Center is probably one of the best facilities in all of Asia. I'd also venture to guess that William is a naturally good eater, but having to continually watch other babies get spoonfed while he waited likely brought out the extreme reaction I sometimes see in him. Three staffers can only get bottles to hungry babies so quickly.

If my theory is true, I pray that time and love will reassure William that we won't fail to feed him and attend to his basic needs. Hopefully he'll figure this out by the time he's 16 because I can't imagine feeding a teenaged son who at the age of 1 year old eats like Human Hoover.

9 comments:

Tisra said...

I have three human hoovers who never seem full (ages 8, 5, and 3.5). I hear complaints all the time from friends of mine who have "bird eaters", and have to remind myself that I should be glad my children aren't picky eaters (zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms... they'll eat ANYTHING!). But, I do wonder at what our food budget will look like when we've added a fourth child and then my boys hit teenage years. Ha! Yikes!

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

I so enjoyed this post! and of course the picture of the little guy :) I wonder if Noah will be like William. Other's who have seen him have said he is big compared to all the little girls around so I am wondering! Enjoy your little hoover and we will pray he does not turn into a big 16 year old hoover :) heehee

hugs
Tami
Noah's Mommy
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

momwithfaithandhope said...

LOL!! Too cute. I must say that my underweight, diagnosed with Failure to Thrive as an infant, is also a Human Hoover. He eats 4 meals a day. Your William's lunch x 2 would be Peyton's before bed snack. He's younger than Andrew. He's getting a tummy and he likes it! Whether it's being at SLC, or just who he is, William is so stinkin' cute - I'd just keep shoveling food into his cute little mouth!! Better start lifting weights! (not to carry William. . .to carry the FOOD!) Hugs, Tiff

Tish said...

oh, we had the exact same thing with matthew! he would eat more than scott and i would for dinner! and then want more! he has slowed down a little now, but not much. sometimes i think it is just the activity of feeding himself that he likes. better sell a kidney soon to pay for your grocery bills!

The family of six said...

Sarah loves to eat too. I have read that it has something to do with attachment and I wonder if this is the case. SO many unknowns with adoption!

HaeWon Cadence Ryu said...

SO CUTE! My Chloe is famous for snatching other kids snacks and drinks at the daycare! She loves to snack snack snack! I think it's blessing. :)

Yvonne Crawford said...

I read your last week and I can't wait for no formula either - though I have a ways to go.

I can't believe how your little man has grown. So sweet!

Our Family said...

We have the opposite problem - Samantha will only eat what she wants and will completely refuse to eat the food in front of her if it isn't what she wants! She seems to be able to ignore her hunger and has gone on multiple multi-day food strikes! Good luck with your food bill when William is older!

He is adorable by the way! Lori

lorabelle said...

I think that all children are just different...Allie is eager to try new things and likes almost everything she tries, but when she's had enough she gives me the raspberries and is done! She still loves her bottle and will hold it by herself as long as I lay her down. She does however have a problem holding it up if she is sitting up. She still only weighs in at 16 pounds and is now 1 year old. We decided to use next step formula for a little while longer. I still like to hold her and give her the bottle, but I've only been home with her for a month. I might feel differently as a little more time goes by...
He really is a cutie!!!
Lora