Thursday, December 27, 2007

Manifest of a Ziploc Bag

On our way to our baby is care package #2. All of our love and fondest wishes have been rolled, squished, and crammed into a gallon-sized Ziploc bag. Specifically, the contents take the form of ("Wonder Twin powers, activate!"):

(1) Disposable camera and (1) disposable video camera, this time with instructions on how to turn on the flash included.

(1) Bible Baby board book. I had every intention of sending a CD of myself reading it. Unfortunately, technology won out yet again and we couldn't locate the program on our computer with which to download recordings from the digital voice recorder. Next month...

(1) Gymboree one-piece jumper. I caved in. I bought him an outfit. And it has a panda bear on it. Perhaps I'm overthinking things, but I hope the caretakers at St. Lucy's don't think I'm trying to make a big deal out of Szu-Chuan's "Asian-ness" by buying him an outfit with a panda. It would be just as bizarre as a family in Tawian adopting a child from America and sending him clothes with bald eagles and Uncle Sam emblazoned on them. To be honest, I'm fond of panda bears and er... um... didn't want to pay the extra $8.00 for the other jumper I liked that wasn't on sale.

(1) Picture of Craig, Andrew, and myself, enlarged, laminated, and threaded through with ribbons for hanging on Szu-Chuan's crib. Thanks, Island Boy's mom, for the great idea.

(1) Crunchy butterfly. Pull the string and the toy wiggles. Squeeze the wings and they crunch. Even a child would enjoy this.

(1) Pacifier clip. If you look carefully at the last set of udpate pictures we received, you'll note the pacifier holder the caretakers have MacGyvered out of a burp cloth in order to secure Szu-Chuan's pacifier. It wraps all the way around his neck and has "strangulation hazard" written all over it (well, no it doesn't, but it very well should). Craig picked up a few clips that should be compatible with the pacifiers used at St. Lucy's. Szu-Chuan will be getting very familiar with these doo-dads over the next few months.

Fly away, overstuffed Ziploc bag, fly away! And perhaps this is wishful thinking, but may you be the last care package we send to our baby before we can go shower him with love in person.

4 comments:

Rebecca Lily said...

Judy, that comment about the baby clothes with Uncle Sam and bald eagles cracked me up!!!! I was laughing so hard. It's so true!!! But I love pandas too... and I'm sure we'll have more than a few of them around once we have our referral!!

The care package is adorable. I'm sure your baby boy will love it!!

Rebecca

Daisy said...

I think it is so great that you guys can send him care packages. I love the stuff that you picked out for him!

Nicole said...

GREAT ideas on the care package. I am getting ready to send package #2 to our daughter in Taiwan. It is so fun...but hard to fit so much into one ziploc bag!! :)
The news you got today is awesome!!!!

R... said...

I'm glad you liked the tip on the photo! I hope you remembered to smooth any sharp corners as it will likely get chewed on (ours was in a soft sleeve and it did get chewed on, but at least he was "enjoying" our pictures ;-).

Funny comment on the bald eagles! Very funny!

Finally, you should know that we did receive a really cool pacifier clip as part of our "pick up package" from SLC, so I don't think it's that they don't have the pacifier clips - they just prefer to have the pacifiers always easily available to the babies and believe their current method is a good one. I'll be curious to see whether they use the clip you sent, but I don't think they will - anything they have to track to an individual baby seems like too much work for them (other than a blanket if you send one and possibly one toy, but you never know which one or if you will get one back - in our case, it was a cloth one).

So glad you're having fun with the care packages. It was fun for us, too!

R...
http://littletatertot.blogspot.com