Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Relative Parade

Incoming slide show - duck!




As children of immigrants, my sisters and I grew up fairly isolated from the rest of our relatives, 99% of whom still remain in Taiwan. I've observed the rapport Craig has had with his grandparents and extended family and a part of me is envious that I missed out on not knowing my (very large) set of grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, and nephews. I met many of them for the first time when we visited Taiwan last month.

Thankfully, William will get to grow up in the company of extended family. While many of our parents and siblings are scattered along the East Coast and the Southwest, he does have three uncles and three aunts within reasonable driving distance of our home. The ones who are further out also make a point to visit a few times a year.

While we were initially apprehensive about how our families would accept the adoption, we've come to realize that our fears were unfounded. William may not be biological, but you'd never know it from the love his new family members have showered upon him.

2 comments:

Tisra said...

That is beautiful! How loved your children are! And, I'd say they have a wealth of family. I grew up with a very small family, and outside of my parents and brother, the extended family we could fly to in England was still extremely small (grandma, grandpa, and two aunts). That is one of the lovely things about marriage, no? I've inherited two amazing sisters from my husband and all of their families.

Megan said...

That is so wonderful William will know his relatives. I'm so happy everyone loves and accepts William who wouldn't? Our family and friends have been amazing too. William is so handsome, hope transition is going smooth.
XOXO,Megan