Wednesday, June 4, 2008

3 Months Home

Yesterday marked William's three month anniversary of joining our family. When I mentioned this milestone to Craig last night, he was genuinely surprised because it really does feel like William has been with us for much, much longer.

Over the last month, we have seen more outward signs of a healthy bond developing. I could be wrong, but I think he's starting to trust us more to provide for him. In the first two months of being home, he would kick and howl and cry in his highchair until we inserted his bottle into his mouth. (Believe me, we prep his food as much as we can in advance of feeding time and waste no time in getting it to him.) Nowadays, he fusses much less. I'd like to think this change indicates his understanding that we'll provide for him unfailingly.

William is also expressing a recognition that we belong together. Recently, we were recently at a large indoor playground with our local MOPS group. He decided to chase after a toy that was a good 30 feet away. I let him go and waited with some apprehension. What would he do when he tired of the toy? Would he remember where I was and search for me? Would he crawl around aimlessly and cry because he thought himself abandoned?

I'm happy to report that when he did bore of the toy, he turned around and came back to me without missing a beat. Considering there were plenty of other children and parents around, he searched for me and found me. It seems silly to think he wouldn't, but as an adoptive parent, I don't take these outcomes for granted.

And finally, my favorite indicator of healthy bonding: for the past several weeks William has been giving me kisses. It's so sweet. He looks like a trout as he slowly angles his face towards mine, his petite mouth puckered into a perfect "O." (I know, fish are far from cute, but I think you get the picture). Just for the moment, it's easy to forget that I've been slimed and slobbered with baby drool. Ahhh... bliss.

7 comments:

Amy from Occupation: Mommy said...

What a happy boy. And I know you are sick of hearing it ;) but he is just so cute!

Heather - The Wanna-be Super Mom said...

I too can't believe it has only been 3 months. I feel like it has been so much longer. What wonderful and happy news...he is a cutie patutie!!!

Tisra said...

I am so happy for you! Congratulations on getting to experience these milestones for 3 months- and congratulations, also, on being able to recognize the changes and be thankful for them.

The family of six said...

That is SO encouraging. He sounds like he's bonding perfectly. Can't believe it's only been 3 months either!

Dianne said...

I love that picture. He is such a sweetie. I am so glad that you are starting to see attachment signs.

The family of six said...

By the way - why was there such a long time between final decree and travel?

Rebecca Lily said...

Oooooh, I love those baby kisses!!!!

Congratulations on 3 months together!! What a precious blessing he is. I love hearing about all the latest.

Love,
Rebecca