Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Old Bottles for New?

I have heard from very reliable sources (o.k., my friend, Amy at Occupation: Mommy) that many Babies 'R Us strores are accepting returns on baby bottles containing BPA. Of course, they aren't trumpeting the news from the rooftops for obvious reasons, but a quick search online confirms that the rumor is indeed true.

Each store seems to have a varying policy from the next. Some will give store credit for the old bottles, others will exchange the bottles for non-BPA ones, some may take no action at all. I decided to find out for myself. When I called our local BRU, I was told they would indeed take back Andrew's old bottles and allow me to swap them for non-BPA ones. Even though William currently drinks from BPA-less bottles, I can count dozens of babies who could benefit from a gift of BPA-free bottles. Why not try?

Sadly, when I got to the customer service desk, I was informed that the bottles had to be in sets of 3 (i.e., three four-ounce Avent bottles, three eight-ounce Gerber bottles, etc.). Apparently, the cost per bottle is less when they are sold in sets, thus reducing the refund amount to the customer. I suspect that enforcing such a restrictive rule also prohibits more parents from taking advantage of the exchange policy.

This sets-of-three policy was a big problem for me as I didn't purchase any of the bottles in groups of three. During Andrew's first six weeks of life, he refused to latch on while nursing and only drank from a bottle. After countless arduous feeding sessions, he finally got the hang of breastfeeding and declared a permanent bottle strike. During that time, we experimented in vain with numerous brands to try to find one he would take. Sets of three? No way.

Alas, William and I were forced to trudge back to the car with our large bag of assorted bottles. Failed exchange notwithstanding, I am at least happy to know that there are stores that are taking action against the use of BPAs in bottles. It's a step in the right direction.

4 comments:

Tisra said...

No receipt, no nothing?! Seriously- I am going to try this! The bottles I have are 3 years old, though. Can't wait to see what our Nashville Babies R US has to say.

Amy from Occupation: Mommy said...

You might want to keep your bag in the trunk of your car in case you ever go by another BRU. My bottles were not in multiples of three, but they still accepted them at the Lancaster store.

Either way, it was worth a try!

Daisy said...

I am definitely going to try this!

Sarah said...

If BRU is getting money from bottle manufacturers as a part of these exchanges... you'd think that they would lump them together. Just take back x number of thousand bottles, divide by three... and you've got all sorts of sets of three. CRAZY.