Friday, June 13, 2008

Defiance

William's will has been showing itself lately. I think the picture below captures it well:


"Mommy says don't pull at her glasses. The crazy glue holding them together will break again." Chubby hands then reach up for the frail glasses.

"Mommy says don't play with Daddy's alarm clock. You'll reset it to go off at 1 a.m. once again." Baby makes a mad crawl back towards the alarm clock.

"Mommy says don't chew on the lamp's cord." Baby crawls back to the lamp and raises the wire towards his eager mouth.

For some time, I would repeat my admonitions and William would respond with laughter. (Do I really look that amusing when I reprimand?) I'm happy to report that as of lately, William has started to recognize the word "No" in both English and Mandarin. I can tell the meaning has registered from the serious expression on his face when I say "No," his back and forth glances at the off-limits object, the furtive looks he casts towards me as he approaches said verboten item. Sometimes he doesn't obey. Sometimes he does.

All I know is that anyone who tells you that babies are born spotless and innocent has never truly raised a child from scratch. The hard task of training our children to be respectful, obedient, and mindful of everyone's safety has already been laid out for us. And here at the K. household, it's time to get to work.

3 comments:

Amy from Occupation: Mommy said...

Ooooh, that boy!

When A was a baby, I took her disobedience very seriously, almost personally. I found with G and S, and you will have to tell me if this is your experience, that I had a harder time not laughing at them! It is so funny when they (as older babies and toddlers) try to be secretive and sneakily do what you told them not to do!

Not so funny with an older child who actually CAN hide the wrongdoing.

lorabelle said...

Oh what a look!!! I just love it!
I don't know how you can scold him with out cracking up when he looks so darn cute...
Good luck!
Lora

Rebecca Lily said...

Oh how right you are!!! They are born knowing how to be sneaky & disobedient!!!! Grant has been giving me "the look" lately too, when I tell him no sometimes. He kind of tilts his head down and looks at me from underneath his eyebrows. It is hilarious and I want to laugh but I can't because it would encourage him. Parenting is definitely not for the faint of heart, it is HARD WORK but if you put it in the first 5 years or so, it does get easier!!!!!

Love,
Rebecca

PS As always, I love seeing pictures of William. :) He is adorable. Pout and all.